Saturday, January 17, 2009

The issue of integrity

"For every step technology takes forward, the moral of humans takes 1 step backwards." Quoted from Ms Gordon. I have to agree with that sentence absolutely as nowadays, people are getting more and more dishonest. For example, people are applying for multiple e-mail addresses under fake names and also signing multiple petitions. Luckily, the creators of petitions who want to maintain the integrity of petitions could try various means of thwarting hackers, such as asking for additional information. However, it is still possible for the hackers to fake signatories. Ultimately it is still the rough numbers that count. I don't think the exact number is important. The important thing is that it gives an idea of the interest. Only a certain percentage of a petition will be true: a petition deosn't just get a lot of votes if no one is interested. You can't make an insignificant issue significant by using technology. In the case of the NKF online petition, it was the importance of the issue that got people's attention. I feel that this article has revealed to me the credibility of online petitioning and also told me about the dishonesty of people nowadays.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, but don't you think people will be honest if the people around them are honest? As such, parents should set a good example for their children.

    ReplyDelete