Friday, June 5, 2009

Is progress necessarily beneficial for society? Comment. [You can cite evidence from VBTS to support your arguement]

Firstly, I have two points of view of this statement. One, it is necessary for a society to progress if not they will always be stuck at the same spot and might not be able to break through to discover new things. However, on second thought, if a society progresses too fast, the people might not be able to adapt to the sudden changes. Thus I feel that this statement can both be right and yet also wrong at the same time.

Now, I will be telling you why change is nessary for a society to progress. For example in the book Village by the sea, people fish for a living. However have they ever thought that one day the fishes will all get caught and the people who fish will not have any more source of revenue? Thus they must progress in order to survive. Which is also why I say that progress is necessary for a society if not they shall die and perish under the harsh reality's of life.

Next, I will be telling you about what will happen if a society progresses too fast. I will also be citing evidences from Village by the sea to prove my point. Firstly, like in Thul, if people are uneducated, and factories are built, the people will still never get a job as they will not know how to operate the machines in the factories. As a result, the people in Thul will have no source of revenue as their fishes will run out.

In conclusion, I feel that this statement is partially correct.

3 comments:

  1. agreed. Progress has its pros and cons. The pros are that the society do not have to remain at a point and move on. The cons is that people do not care about the natural environment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you and have the same opinion as you. Good job on the word length and i am looking forward to your next blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am Shenghua, because of the profile thing, I cannot choose my name at the 'Comment as' place for it will be very troublesome.

    I agree with you totally. A good progress in rural places is a progress which is slow and easily adaptable, then people will like it and accept it. Good work, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete